Monday, October 02, 2006

I've been neglectful...

Sorry about that. I've just had a week of uni spent mostly doing uni work and being sick. And working on my vampires-and-Hillsong screenplay that I'm working on just so I can say I've written something feature length. And... uh... seeing movies. Whoops. I am nearly done on my Toronto round-up thingo, not that it's that exciting, but I thought I should finish it off. This delay almost makes it seem like it should be something halfway impressive. Don't worry: it's not. Really.

I've just watched the Australian modern-day adaptation of Macbeth and the spiritual sequel to Anchorman, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. Neither satisfied.

Meanwhile, TV is either satisfying me, or getting me very excited. IE:









Hot.

I have trouble with the fact that such good TV and such bad TV can exist within the same universe. And that the makers of bad TV get paid to make more of said bad TV. It's kind of depressing. I just saw an episode of that Mandy Patinkin show Criminal Minds. It's about FBI agents who solve murders. Startlingly original, I know. The most striking thing about it was how heavy-handed the direction was. Music screams "OOOH!!! TENSION!!!". Lingering camera shots drop anvils on the heads of viewers saying "THIS GUY MIGHT BE EEEEVIL".

LOOK! SOME CHILLING DARK IMAGERY!

There was even some superimposition of this shot in a Satanic cult lair of a red mask or some shit, the camera at a dutch angle, it was painful. It felt I'd been transported back to the early nineties, except I was a child then so might have found the whole thing to be minorly scary, which was not the case here. It made me appreciate the Law and Order franchise more, for fuck's sake, because even those shows aren't that tacky. Poor Mandy. I hope they're paying him a whole lot. And not just because he has to work with Greg, from Dharma and Greg, although that on its own must be a huge kick in the teeth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home