Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Being home!

I survived the trip, even though I was surrounded by seventeen(ish) babies on the plane, one of whom was crying before the plane began to taxi. So that was awful, and an exercise in restraint. John C Reilly and Will Ferrell were on my plane! Not just to promote Talladega Nights, but also to do some (I assume, I didn't watch it) horrible Channel Seven special on fifty years of TV in Australia, featuring, like, Dancing With The Stars fuckers dancing and It Takes Two fuckers singing and so apparently the purpose of the thing was to highlight the fact that Australian TV is pretty much made up of cheap to produce reality bullshit which simultaneously gives famewhores an extra few minutes of undeserved spotlight and fulfils the legal quota of Australian content that must appear on our screens. Network executives could promote new talent creating something great or keep old talent in the industry working on something with, you know, meaning or value.

Or they could just keep the cheap glitz going. Whatever.

Although it should be pointed out that the number one show right now- and not just the number one Australian produced show, but the number one overall- isn't about glitz and glamour, although it is reality TV. It's called Border Security, although I call it "Get the Fuck Out of Our Fucking Country, You Fucking Foreigners!" It chronicles the work of customs officers as they try valiently to keep Australia free of undesirable things and people, and the public laps it right up. Fantastic.

This wasn't supposed to be a rant. Whoops.

So anyway, reviews are forthcoming. I've written a few, having just finished a really scathing one. Those are fun to write! I'm also going to give my own little awards to the films I saw in Toronto, as well as the festival itself, and to some of my experiences of the actual city of Toronto. Watch out, Least Favourite Canadian!

On the plane I saw Friends With Money, which was pretty decent, although probably not quite as decent as its fantastic cast deserved, and Before Sunset, which I've seen a few times before and I will see a few times again, because it's fantastic, and apparently there is a romantic hiding in me somewhere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Well. Welcome back!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Simon A said...

Thanks!

That wasn't a little TOO angry, was it? Seriously, Border Patrol is an awful, ugly show, and it just makes me sad that it's so popular.

Although I think it's one of those things that many many people like but very few people love. It's popular but not worshipped, but the numbers are all that matter to the network, and to the show's continued success.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home